Slightly Mad Studios have released a new development build of their WMD-powered Project CARS title for all members with Team Member status and above to download.
Aside from plenty of improved content and features listed below, Build 139 continues the title’s complete overhaul of the Force Feedback and input system as the new build comes with a work-in-progress .exe file for those still experiencing input lag.
Build 139 (26/1/12, Team Member+)
- Added shortcuts for pCARS_WipLag.exe
- Tweak FFB self aligning torque algorithm
- Added handling of some extreme cases in AI driver steering computation to avoid invalid float value results
- Fix for debug rendering under DX11 – the internal shader was failing to compile, causing a crash when used with the input graph
- Constant force balancing work
- FFB updates to constant force
- Further FFB self alignment work
- Allow AI at Belgium Forest
- New WDF file based off Bologna at Belgian Forest
- Skinning and materials tweaks for driver
- Increased the leaves density in one of the zones at CH
- All LODs finished, minor polishing to the car, vertex AO baked on LODs Caterham
- New Kart physics for the new low speed (<13 m/s) tyre model fix. The 126CC Kart was adjusted at Glencairn. The New 250CC Super Kart is a high speed track Kart so was created using Bologna to test. Both Karts were tested with 360 deg lock
- Tweaked AI grip and slip angles to make it somewhat drivable for the AI. Super Kart tyre
- New Caterham export
- New Leonus F86 export
- New Bathurst export
- New Belgian Forrest export
- New California Raceway export
- New Northampton export
Build 138 (26/1/12, Senior Manager)
- Default ffb spring coefficient set to 1.0 on custom/TM wheels
- Re-instate driving line support.
- Get auto gear box metrics from the local driving aid data
- Added pit speed limiter state override when in pit lane
- Set initial vehicle path based on spawn location
- FFB – centre spring increase
- FFB pneumatic trail fix for constant force code
- Bologna map checked in
- Particle zones added for leaves in the CH GP
- Dropped engine inertia per forum feedback. Ariel Atom, Mugen and Caterham 500
- New liveries for the Caterham
- Add textures for stands (California Raceway)
- Asano LM11: fixed steeringwheel pivot
- Superkart added to the game
- Fixed thumb and skin on driver
- New Bathurst export
- New Ariel Atom V8
- New Asano LM11 TDX export
- Enabled E-brake to streetable cars. Set to 75% power. All 3 Ariel Atom versions, Caterham 500, Gumpert Apollo.
- Change Ride height adjustment granularity from .25mm to .50 mm. Fixed ride height rake on a few cars. Cars changed: Asano TC, Asano LMP, Formula B, GP1977, GP1986, Racer 4, Racer 8.
Build 137 (25/1/12, Senior Manager)
- Removed old slider code specific for ride height, fixes inverted ride height display
- Front and rear tyre slip FFB work
- Front and rear wing invert display in setup screen
- Disable fake particles thrown at player car when it is behind an AI car, as they look crap currently
- FFB updates: fixed loss of spring resulting from rear wheel longitudal slip, increased spring during forward weight shift, increased power to constant resulting from vehicle yaw, also modify constant based upon terrain type. Tested with Formula B and Caterham at Connecticut Short with G27.
- Minor tweak to FFB weight shift code. Also default average weight to 1.0f
- Ariel Atom: updated collision for all three with better fitting shapes. Wheel-tire shapes will be removed once wheel to wheel collisions are enabled.
- Updated hands pose, steering(±120º)
- -latest rig/skinning updates merged
- New physics for the Leonus Cars. Changes made along the line of the latest direction in tyres.
- GT driver checked in for the TDX
- Full liveries for the Kart
Build 136 (24/1/12, Manager+)
- Added caching of old leaderboard ranks. Once GUI files are updated, the ingame leaderboards will automatically start displaying rank delta since 24 hours ago below the current rank.
- Update patch number to be available for team members
- Enable HUD track map tech for future track maps
- Ariel Atom: New ambient shadows and Ultra detail settings for Mugen and V8
- Paint UV mapping update on the Kart
- Ariel Atoms: reduced max steering lock to prevent suspension from exploding
- Northampton texture update
- Changes to the base cooling of race slicks. Dropped the initial temps to 20c and the sensitivity to being under temp by 3x. Also removed some grip and downforce of the Formula B along balance to suit.
- Cars affected:
- Formula_B, Asano LMP, Asano TC
- Removed profile deletion from the patch
To play the builds, Team Membership of Project CARS is required, membership starts at a one-time payment of 10€ for Junior access, including access to the busy WMD forum where members can talk to the development team and help shape Project CARS. For more info on pricing and benefits of membership, check out the WMD website.
To whet your appetite, below is the newest batch of WMD community screenshots, showing off unedited Project CARS gameplay screenshots of cars and tracks already available in the development builds.