Following the first reveal trailer released by BMW Motorsport, Fanatec have now officially announced the new Fanatec BMW M4 GT3 wheel, confirming its feature set and showing off first photos.
The BMW M4 GT3 wheel was engineered in partnership with BMW Motorsport and is designed to work both in the real M4 GT3 race car as well as in sim racing, making it the first time such technology transfer from the real world into the sim world is happening in steering wheel development as this wheel will be fully GT3 homologated, allowing sim racers to use an authentic piece of motorsports hardware.
The wheel features RGB LED-backlit front buttons, backlit 12-position rotary switches, custom thumb encoders, dual-action magnetic shifters, dual-Hall sensor clutch paddles, and more. All-new push-pull magnetic shifter paddles allow the driver to upshift and downshift (or activate other functions) with either hand.
Fanatec BMW M4 GT3 Wheel – Features
- Official BMW Motorsport product
- Designed and developed in Bavaria by Fanatec and BMW Motorsport
- Multi-layer (8 layers) full carbon fibre body
- Rubber hand grips molded over carbon fibre structure
- Meets rigorous environmental condition specifications for shock and vibration, IP65 rating (dust and water resistance)
- 14 push buttons (12 front-facing, 2 rear-facing) with 700 g activation force
- RGB LED-backlit front buttons (colour-adjustable and dimmable, interchangeable caps)
- 1” OLED display
- Customisable via FanaLab
- Three backlit 12-position rotary switches with encoder functionality
- Two custom-designed, 12-step thumb encoders with Hall sensors
- 4-way D-pad under the BMW logo
- Dual-action (push/pull) magnetic shifter paddles
- Two dual-Hall sensor clutch paddles
- Fanatec QR2: all-new quick release allows operation in the 2022 BMW M4 GT3 race car
- New-generation firmware, upgradeable via integrated USB-C port
- Communicates with 2022 BMW M4 GT3 via CAN bus
- Compatible with Windows PC
- Compatible with all PS4 and PS5 systems when connected to a PlayStation-licensed wheel base
- 310 mm diameter
- 1400 g (approx)
The Fanatec BMW M4 GT3 wheel will be compatible both to PC simulations and Playstation4/5 depending on wheel base compatibility. It is due to be released in Q2 2021, pricing info is not yet available.